Food Service Program

Wild Plum Center knows that children need proper nutrition throughout the day so that their brains and bodies can function properly and they will be ready to learn. WPC provides 2/3 of a child’s nutritonal requirements each day they are in school. Using the USDA MyPlate WPC offers breakfast and lunch to the morning classes and lunch and a snack to the afternoon classes.

Each WPC site has a fully-equipped kitchen and a trained cook. Working with the Child and Adult Care Food Program and under the guidelines as set forth by the Boulder County Health Department, cooks prepare meals each day for all of the classrooms. Breakfast includes milk, fruit and whole grains. Lunch consists of milk, protein, fruit and vegetables and all snacks include milk, fruit and whole grains.

WPC only uses prepackaged food products that are approved by the USDA. Whole fresh fruit and vegetables are offered as often as possible.

Meal menus are prepared on a monthly basis and are distributed to families in both English and Spanish, so that meals won’t get duplicated at home.

A special treat for WPC children is the Food Friends Program. For 12 weeks a year, a wide variety of foods are brought into the classrooms for children to sample. Using puppets and colorful activity books, children learn about foods that they are not ordinarily exposed to. They also take part in new physical activities as part of Food Friends. 

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency (State or Local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in the languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at, and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)    Mail:

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2)     (2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)     (3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.